Saturday, December 30, 2006

The End

Nobody's ever told me I have a face for radio. Then again, nobody's ever told me I have one for tv, either.

My iTunes Library with its magically crafted "smart playlists" now reflects my personality in both content and order. This is what I spend my days doing. Having managed to watch on in amazement at the Herculian effort produced by my partner in crime to get our thesis out the proverbial door not only in time, but actually almost a month ahead of said time (prompting some to proclaim it to be a true Christmast miracle, if you subscribe to such things), there's not a whole lot else to do, really.

Well, there was that thing a couple of days ago with the jolly bearded fellow with a possibly worrying BMI-problem went through close to every chimney in America and fathers across the land launched out to purchase newspapers they most certainly never ended up buying in other parts of the world, but that's about it, I suppose. For all intents and purposes, I have now "graduated" university, so what better way to celebrate that than to go back home and... make sausage and bring select pieces of wildlife into your living room?

But yeah, that only gets you halfway there. You see, as an aftershock of the health examinations for my new job, I was told to get a wisdom tooth removed. There is no logical rationale behind this. Seriously. I was not having any problems with it, and my dentist told me that we might well leave it as it is, since, well, it wasn't causing any problems. But then he upped and changed his mind and said the following, which I found startling in all its honesty: "But we might as well remove it, seeing as how you do have deep pockets." Now, I'm all for a straight-as-an-arrow take-it-like-a-man way of explaining things to the patient, but was this really necessary? Granted, he was referring to a completely different sort of pocket than the one I was thinking of when I walked out of the place some 2 200SEK lighter for it, but yeah. For my SEK-challenged friends, feel free to look that up, but know that it's basically my last month's rent. However, I should not have been surprised. Previous contact with the Swedish health care-system has left me with very few illusions indeed.

Last year's NYE. This picture will not be possible to reproduce tomorrow for a great many reasons.

So yes, this means that the last New Year's Eve I'll spend at home for quite some time, will actually be spent at home, as in not out gallivanting with my friends. As an aside, people do tend to gallivant a lot less these days, wouldn't you say? And isn't it sad? Anyway, if you're wondering who's going to be sitting at home (with a right cheek that looks like he tried to stuff a basketball in there and succeeded with room to spare) feeling very very sorry for himself at the stroke of midnight, look no further. Happy New Year to you, Interwebs, and all who visit you!

9 comments:

Martinsson said...

"So yes, this means that the last New Year's Eve I'll spend at home for quite some time"

If I were you I'd try to get some holidays over this time over year. It's one of those times of year when Sweden kicks Japan's ass big big time... Adding to that, you get a lot of "bonus" holidays after New Year. Unless you're a great fan of crowded shinto shrines, there's no point in staying. No, I'm not bitter because I spent Christmas (and soon New Year's) in Japan, I just would have prefered to be somewhere else...

Martinsson said...

...not with a swollen cheek though, I might add...

Kumadude said...

Actually, I do plan to go home over the Holidays as often as possible, I only wrote that since I know now that various circumstances (big parental birthdays etc) will leave me with no vacation days left for X-mas '07. Looking forward to the overcrowded shrines and dead subway trains, then!

Martinsson said...

I see, it will maybe you and me spending our miserable lives in Tokyo during X-mas 2007 then... I'm planning on trading my X-mas vacation for a Euro 2008 holiday option... This will in all likelihood force me to stay in this Christmas foresaken country for another X-mas... ;-)

Anonymous said...

Count me in for the big X-mas 2007 celebration on Marunouchi-sen! =)

Kumadude said...

The way I see it, the more the merrier! And if we ever get tired of Marunouchi, we could always just go crazy and ride Yamanote-sen all day! I can't think of anything I'd like to do more, but maybe that's just me.

Martinsson said...

After visiting your future employer I realized your first objective at IKEA should be to include the fantastic sofa Ekeskog in the Japanese product range. ;-) The next one should be to find out why the only sell the ugly sofas in Japan and not the nice ones... I expect this problem to be solved within six months...

P.S. And yes, at parties, just like a doctor is supposed to know everything about weird diseases, a banker how the stock market will move the next six months, you will be responsible for all IKEA's actions from now on ;-)

Kumadude said...

First of all, thank you for your patronage! I hope you bought a crap-ton of stuff that will make you realize you want a bigger place, so that you can come back and buy another crap-ton of other stuff. Or something.

Oh, and you just leave that sofa-business to me, don't worry. Also, things like if you get a 5/4" nut instead of a 3/4" bolt or whatever. I know people who know people.

Martinsson said...

I got a bag of "Bilar"... I don't know if that qualifies for a "crap-ton" of stuff. But they also had semlor (waaaay to small though...) You've gotta love that store! But don't worry, I'll come by in July/Aug to buy enough furniture to fill an apartment... I'll probably pay your salary that month so be nice ;-)