Thursday, April 13, 2006

Here comes nothin'

I went running today. It's a good a reason as any to start this thing, I guess. And I should know. Twice already, I've started things like this, the one involving a bathtub control panel and hot-sauce, the other Chubu Track and Mitsuya Cider. A fine combination on pretty much any day of the week. So yeah, that's the rationale behind starting this thing. With running.

You understand, I'm not generally the person to actually do that. Run. If the touch of highschool biology left me with anything, it's that man has been a long time in the makin'. Yes, there is a tired joke about women being longer/not as long in the making, but I wouldn't touch it with a ten-foot pole. Anyway. Man has been long in the making, and this period of general creation has left us an ample amount of spare moments here and there to invent things. Things like a bike, which can get you places faster than running can. Neanderthals didn't have the bikes. Cro magnon-man? You betcha. And we all know how that turned out. So why would you actually spend precious (a gross over-estimation in my own case) free time running?

And why in some deity's name would you spend even more time writing about it here?

No, you didn't ask, but since I am physically unable to take a hint, I shall give you my view of this whole blog thing. It's a save station. In the highly likely event of my demise, all the researchers of the land will obviously want to make a new me. It goes without saying. Now, sure, DNA tech is all well and good, but it won't really recreate me, you know? I'll be a lot like me for the first couple of days, but from then, it'll be all downhill. Of this, there can be little doubt. I'll turn into some kind of street hooligan. Not that that doesn't sound appealing, it's just not me. So, said boffins will need to fill my head with something, right? Granted, Encyclopedia Britannica would be a good candidate, but that might leave me with little room for social skills. And these are very much in demand in today's marketplace. Probably even moreso in tomorrow's marketplace, which is where new-me will be doing his job-hunting. Which leads to the conclusion that they'll need to have stuff, written by me, about, well, me, to fill the new me with.

A very long way of justifying something which is, at it's core, extremely self-serving. Some would argue it's a victimless crime, I'm not hurting anybody publishing this. Think again! 1) You just read it. Just imagine what you could have done with that amount of time! You could have cross-bred some new kind of melon into existance. Been the first to circle your block on a tricycle going backwards. Hell, you might even have been able to learn how to play that instrument. When lying on your deathbed, will you truly be able to say "I have no regrets"? Don't think so. 2) Just think of the thousands of bytes I'm wasting, bytes which very well could have been used to cure cancer. Or something. Thousands, I tell you!

This is not a positive direction for this thing to take. I feel. Therefore, I offer the following, shall we say, tidbit:

My girlfriend just got back from class, which she attends with none other than Mr Mikko Luoma. You may know him as the guy with jersey #5 from such hockey teams as the Edmonton Oilers, or Tappara. If you're Finnish. Otherwise, you might know him from Linköping HC, where he's currently something of a regular. Teams are built around this man. He is the essence which binds the glue that holds the fort down. Or whatever. Sure, there's the remote, and I can't stress this enough, remote chance you don't know him at all, but I won't get into that.

See, that got us right back on track. In order to make sure that doesn't last too long, I'll present you with the following, meaning roughly "to ignore completely". I made it a couple of days ago, and it just seems to fit here, somehow.




No comments: